English is the primary language of instruction and communication in all domestic programs at Royal Roads University. As part of the application process, all candidates whose first language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English speaking, listening, reading and writing by one of the following means:
Submission of an official English language proficiency score report which meets one of the following minimum* standards:
- International English Language Testing System (Academic): 6.5 or better with no individual score below 6.0.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet-based Test (IBT): 88 or better with no section score below 20; Paper-based Test (PBT): 570 or better
- University of Cambridge English Examinations: Grade C or better
- Accuplacer: at least Reading Comprehension 70 and Writing 6
- CanTEST of Written English (TWE) with 4.5 and 4.0 in each skill or better.
- Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL): at least 70 overall; 70 in Writing; 60 in other skills
- Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB): 9+ or better
- Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB): 81 overall or better
- Graduation from a recognized diploma or degree program from a college or university at which English was the primary language of instruction in an English speaking country.
- Complete the International Study Centre's undergraduate or pre-master's pathway program
An applicant who believes they are fully proficient in English may provide a written submission to the Admissions Office, demonstrating English proficiency through other means. Please review our English Language Requirements - Waiver Process.
* Meeting minimum English language requirements does not guarantee admission. Some programs may require alternate levels of competency.
Verify with the institution directly.