Types of Transfer Credit

There are many different ways in which transfer credit can be awarded.

Each institution has its own policy regarding the type of transfer credit they award. Here are some of the different ways in which transfer credit can be awarded.

Direct or General Credit


Direct Credit also known as Assigned Credit – Credit is granted for a specific course.
For example:

CAPU ENGL 100 = UVIC ENGL 115 (3)

General Credit also know as Unassigned Credit – Credit is granted for a specific subject and year level.  This credit may be used as an elective towards your credential.
For example:

UNBC FREN 1XX (3) – 3 credits of 100 level French at UNBC

Credit can be granted for a specific course or granted for a specific subject and year level.

Cluster or Multi-Agreement


Because institutions differ in the way courses are instructed, direct equivalencies cannot always be established. In some cases, institutions will create transfer agreements that involve multiple courses. This is known as cluster credit. Both courses must be taken in order to receive transfer credit, unless otherwise specified.

For example:

LANG HIST 1115 & 1130 = UBC HIST 125

Two or more courses must be completed to receive transfer credit.

Block Transfer


You should be able to transfer directly into the second or third year of the degree program depending on the agreement. Block transfer works well if you complete the entire diploma. If you don’t complete the entire diploma, you’ll probably still receive some transfer credit if the individual courses are listed in the Course Search. Search Block Transfer to find institutions with block transfer agreements.

Block Transfer occurs when a group of courses, often in the form of a certificate or diploma, is recognized for transfer credit.

Degree Partnerships


Degree partnerships are offered in a variety of different disciplines. For more information, search Degree Partnerships.

Degree Partnerships are programs offered jointly by two or more institutions.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR) or Flexible Assessment


The process for this type of recognition is often called Prior Learning Assessment (PLAR) or Flexible Assessment.  This is different from transfer credit. Check with the institution to which you have applied for information on their policy for PLAR or Flexible Assessment.

Students are eligible to receive credit for learning that’s occurred in a non-standard or non-traditional environment, such as self-directed study, paid employment, volunteer work, travel, and non-college courses.

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB)


If you have completed IB or AP courses, you may be eligible for advanced credit. See the High School Transfer more info.

The International Baccalaureate (IB) and Advanced Placement (AP) programs are enriched secondary school program that provides students with the opportunity to earn advanced credit towards their undergraduate degrees.

Program Transfer


See more on Program Specific transfer for specific programs.

Faculty members in many institutions often collaborate to arrange special transfer agreements for their discipline.

Flexible Pre-Majors


Flexible Pre-Majors have been discontinued.

A Flexible Pre-Major (FPM) refers to first and second year courses that students are required to complete in order to be admitted to a major at the third year level.