Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6


Simon Fraser University

This information applies to the 2010-11 Academic year.


Literacy and Quantitative Skills Requirements
How to Qualify as a Transfer Student
Associate of Arts/Science Degree Holders
Diverse Qualifications Undergraduate Admission Policy

Admission Process
Application by Web
Required Documents
Application Deadlines
Application and Document Evaluation Fees

Admission to Faculty
Use of Transfer Credit
Transfer Credit Regulations
Admission of Transfer Students into a Faculty
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Faculty of Business Administration
Faculty of Education
Faculty of Health Sciences
Faculty of Science
Faculty of Applied Sciences - Communication
Faculty of Applied Sciences - Computing Science
Faculty of Applied Sciences - Engineering Science
Faculty of Applied Sciences - Kinesiology

Important Transfer Notes
Canadian Studies
Computing Science
Co-operative Education
Contemporary Arts
Extended Minor Program
General Studies Program
Geographic Information Science Program
History/First Nations Studies
Laboratory Science Courses
Language Courses
Sociology and Anthropology
Women's Studies

For More Information


The quality and flexibility of our academic programs, together with our year-round trimester system, make Simon Fraser University a popular choice for BC college students. Many transfer students take advantage of year-round admission by entering the University in January (Spring) or May (Summer) rather then the traditional starting time of September (Fall).

This publication applies to courses offered in the 2008-09 academic year (beginning September 2008), including courses assessed for transfer by May 1, 2008. Unless evaluated and approved after this date, courses not listed should be considered non-transferable, except that updates will be posted monthly on the Web version for this document. For studies taken in previous years refer to earlier Transfer Guides, or enquire at Student Services.

To Top

Literacy and Quantitative Skills Requirements

This requirement applies to applicants seeking entry to degree programs.

Students must meet the following requirements.


Students transferring from a BC or Yukon community or university college must either:

  • obtain a C- or better grade in a transferable course certified as W (writing-intensive) by Simon Fraser University; or
  • obtain a C- or better grade in a course (three units or more) that transfers to Simon Fraser University as English (ENGL) transfer credit; or
  • meet the English requirements for direct admission from BC or Yukon secondary schools.

Quantitative Skills

Students transferring from a BC or Yukon community or university college must either:

  • obtain a C- or better grade in a course that either transfers as assigned credit to a Q course at Simon Fraser University or  transfers as unassigned credit but is certified as Q by Simon Fraser University; or
  • meet the math requirements for direct admission from BC or Yukon secondary schools for the program of admission.

See the BC Transfer Guide for courses that transfer as W and Q to SFU. See the explanation of “Types of Transfer Credit” on the Transfer Help tab.

 *See for LPI information. Non-residents of British Columbia may defer the LPI examination until their first semester at SFU.

To Top

How to Qualify as a Transfer Student

To be eligible for admission, a potential transfer student must:

  • have completed 24 units or more of transfer credit work, or be admissible on some other basis (i.e. admission from secondary school), and
  • have an average grade of at least 2.5 on transferable college courses.

Because of resource limitations, admission of new students is normally restricted to those with higher averages. Averages required can vary, depending on the term of application and the faculty sought. Credit will be awarded for all acceptable courses passed, up to a maximum of 60 units (two years).

The admission grade point average will be calculated only on transferable courses. If a course is duplicated, the higher grade will be used in the calculation of the admission average.

A student who met University admission requirements after completing grade 12 may be admitted on the basis of those requirements provided that they have attempted fewer than 24 units of transfer credit. However, admission is normally not granted if he or she has three or more transferable courses (nine or more units) with an average of less than 2.0 or 60%.

To Top

Associate of Arts/Science Degree Holders

Graduates holding Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degrees from BC colleges or university colleges recognized by the BC Ministry of Advanced Education will receive preference in the admission process as follows:

  • The minimum average to Associate Degree students will be established each term at a level 0.25 GPA points less than that required for regular transfer students, but shall not be less than 2.00.
  • Transfer credit will be given for all individually transferable courses. When the individually assigned credit from all sources totals less than 60 units, additional general elective credit will be assigned to bring the transfer credit total to 60 units.

To Top

Diverse Qualifications Undergraduate Admission Policy

Each term, many more admission applications are received than can be accepted. Academic performance is the main criterion for admission and is used exclusively in 90% of cases. However, it is recognized that some candidates have other attributes and achievements which should be recognized in determining admission. The University seeks to admit not only applicants who are academically very well qualified but also those who meet minimum admission standards and have:

  • demonstrated commitment and/or excellence in other endeavours, or
  • succeeded in their studies in spite of difficult circumstances.

The University will select up to 10% of new students, taking into account these diverse qualifications. Information can be found at the following website:

This admission policy is not available to Faculty of Science applicants.

This policy applies only to candidates who meet the published minimum academic admission requirements, the English language and literacy requirements and the analytical and quantitative skills requirement. Applicants who have been required to withdraw from another educational institution are not eligible to apply under Diverse Qualifications.

Applications will be considered only if a Personal Information Profile is received by the application deadline and at least one letter of reference.

To Top

Admission Process

All enquiries relating to admission should be directed to:
Admissions, Student Services, Simon Fraser University, 8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6.


To apply for admission, go to our website at which will link you to the Poser-secondary Application Service of BC (PASBC). There, you can begin your application by entering basic academic and biographical data. From ApplyBC, you'll move to the Simon Fraser part of the web application, and tell us about your intended program of studies. You can pay all application fees by credit card. After your application is acknowledged, and if you're a Canadian grade 12 applying for the Fall semester, you will be invited to report your grades.

Application fees may be sent at the time application is made or soon after. If payment is made later, please quote the reference number that is given to the applicant when the submissions is acknowledged by the University.


The following supporting official documents must also be submitted from the issuing institution before any application will be considered. These documents may be submitted before or after application deadlines.

  • official copy of the appropriate school leaving certificate (if less than 24 units of transferable post-secondary course work attempted).
  • official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended, whether or not the work was completed. (Students who plan to enter Simon Fraser in the term immediately following their college semester should contact their college Registrar and request that an official transcript be submitted to Simon Fraser both during their final term or semester and immediately after final results are released.)
  • official reports of any standard tests written.
  • Applicants whose primary language is not English must write a standardized English test, normally IELTS, and have the results submitted directly from the testing agency to Simon Fraser University. In some circumstances, this requirement will apply to students who have attended secondary schools or post-secondary institutions in Canada for less than four years.

All documents must be originals. Photocopies are not acceptable. Replaceable documents submitted with an application become the property of the University and will not be returned.


Applicants should submit application forms and any available documents as early as possible but not more than twelve months ahead of the term they intend to begin studies.

Fall term (September to December): April 30
Spring term (January to April): September 30
Summer term (May to August): January 31


Each time an applicant applies to the University for admission or readmission, an application fee is required. This fee, non-refundable and not applicable to tuition fees, must accompany the application for admission form or be paid soon after making an application.*

There are two levels of application fee:

1. A fee of $45 is assessed if all your academic records are from British Columbia or from a secondary school in Canada.

2. A fee of $100 is assessed if your academic records, in whole or in part, originate outside of BC.

* Payments can be made by credit card through, debit card through Student Service front counter and cheque or international money order payable to Simon Fraser University.

To To


Admission to Faculty

Students may apply for admission to one of six faculties: applied sciences, arts and social sciences, business administration, education and health sciences and science. Applicants may indicate an alternate faculty in the event that they are not selected to the faculty of their first choice.

Students are permitted to change faculties during the course of their studies.

To Top

Use of Transfer Credit

It is not always possible to complete a degree at Simon Fraser by completing the number of units equal to the difference between total units required for a degree (usually 120) and transferred units (usually a maximum of 60). To minimize the possibility of transfer problems, college students should consult this Guide when selecting courses, and be sure to have received counseling at their college.

It some cases students may not be able to complete two full years at a college before transferring. Certain disciplines, such as Kinesiology, Communications or Criminology, may require courses not offered at all colleges. However, students have some alternatives: attend another college, take correspondence courses, or transfer to Simon Fraser earlier in their programs.


In most cases, total transfer and course challenge credit may not exceed 60 units, and may not include more than 15 as upper division work. Within these limits, units may be transferred for all courses passed, which are acceptable under University policies.

Transfer credit is not used in the calculation of the SFU Cumulative Grade Point Average.

Transfer credit for ungraded passes (e.g. pass/fail) will be granted only if the course has been previously articulated for transfer credit and if all students in the course are graded in a similar manner.

Transfer credit is not granted for credit assessed by other institutions, or for knowledge acquired outside formal instruction, but course challenge credit may be obtained at the University for such work or knowledge. Transfer credit is not granted for courses deemed to be duplicating courses previously completed at Simon Fraser University or elsewhere.

Students who are attending, or who have attended the University should note that in addition to these regulations:

  • work taken after initial registration at SFU must be passed with a grade of C (2.0 or 60%) or higher to receive transfer credit; and
  • students wishing to complete transfer credit after initial registration must obtain a letter of permission in advance, using the form available at

Students completing certificates or diplomas should be aware that each program has its own specific restrictions on the amount of transfer credit permitted. Students should consult the appropriate sections in the University Calendar for these limitations.

Special transfer credit regulations apply to the bachelor of general studies degree, bachelor of education degree, bachelor of applied science degree in engineering science, honour degree programs and to students attending other universities on formal exchange programs. Refer to the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Education, and Faculty of Applied Sciences sections respectively.

An applicant seeking admission with transfer credit is advised that the courses transferred, together with those he/she subsequently takes at SFU, must meet the general and specific requirements of the faculty and department in which he/she chooses to major or honor. Some of the transfer credit awarded may be designated 'general elective credit.' Individual faculties may restrict the amount of general elective credit that may be counted toward a degree in that faculty. The applicant should not assume that he/she will complete the degree with a number of units equal to the difference between total hours required for the degree and transferred units. Although this calculation will usually be correct for a student who remains within a field of study, it will not necessarily be correct for a student who changes fields.

Transfer credit is designated as type one, two, or three. Type one is assigned credit, used when there is a Simon Fraser University equivalent. Type two is unassigned credit in a subject area, used for courses without Simon Fraser University equivalents, but which are acceptable to a department as fulfilling subject requirements for a general or honors degree in that department. For example, 'BISC 1XX (3)' means that three units of credit in Biological Sciences have been granted. Type three is general elective credit, used for courses which are judged to be transferable but do not fulfill specific faculty or departmental requirements. General elective credit is counted toward the total number of units required for the degree.

Individual departments may require students to repeat prerequisite courses for which they have received transfer for a D grade. The repeated courses will show on the student's permanent record, but double credit will not be granted.

To Top

Admission of Transfer Students into a Faculty


Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of

Students complete at least 24 units of transferable work with a minimum average of 2.00 or 60%. (Up to 60 units of transfer credit will be awarded for acceptable passed courses.)

Business Administration, Faculty of

Students planning to enter the BBA degree program must meet the general University entrance requirements, including transferable equivalents to the following courses:

BUEC 232-4

BUS 237-3, BUS 251-3, BUS 272-3

ECON 103-4, ECON 105-4

MATH 157-3 (or MATH 150-3 or MATH 151-3 or MATH 154-3)

and two of ENGL 101-3, 102-3, 103-3, 104-3, 105-3, 199-3, PHIL 001-3, 100-3, 120-3.

A minimum grade of C- is required in each of the above mentioned courses. The cumulative grade point average required for admission, however, is significantly higher. Most transfer students enter the University’s Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences before they are approved into the Faculty of Business Administration (see “Faculty of Business Administration” on page 199).


Students must complete at least 60 units of transferable work with a minimum average of 2.00 or 60% for admission to the bachelor of education program

Health Sciences, Faculty of

Students planning to enter the BA and BSc degree program in health sciences must complete at least 24 units of transferable work.

Recommended courses for students intending to complete the BSc in health sciences are BISC 101-4, 102-4 and 202-3, CHEM 121-4 and 122-2, STAT 201-3 or 203-3.

Recommended courses for students intending to complete the BA in health sciences are SA 101-4 (or 150-4), STAT 201-3 (or 203-3), human biology course.

To Top


Students planning to enter the BSc degree program must have the following transfer credit (minimum grade of C on each):

- MATH 100-3
- two of BISC 100-4, chem 110-3 or 111-4, PHYS 100-3


Admission requirements are the same as those for the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (see above). Admission is competitive.


Students applying for the computing science program may be admitted directly based on college grades or may be offered general University admission with the opportunity to apply for later admission based on Simon Fraser University grades.

For direct entry from college students must complete 24 units of transferable work; including one mathematics course and two computing courses, or one computing course and two mathematics courses that will receive the following transfer credit:

  • MACM 101, 201, MATH 151, 152 and 240
  • CMPT 125 or 126, 150, 225, 250 and 275

Please direct email queries to


Students planning to enter the BASc degree program must complete at least 24 units in transferable science or engineering courses with a minimum GPA of 2.50.

Interactive Arts and Technology, School of

Students complete at least 24 units of transferable course work with a minimum grade point average of 2.20, including at least 18 units comprised of three units from each of the following areas: CMPT, FPA, CMNS, or IAT (see “Route 3” on page 127).

In routes 2 and 3, students apply to either the BA or BSc program after completing at least 18 units of the lower division requirements listed below or equivalents.

Kinesiology, School of

Students planning to enter the BSc (Kinesiology) degree program must complete at least 24 units of transferable credit. The current transfer GPA is 2.50 based on these 24 units.

Most students who wish to be kinesiology majors are typically admitted via the internal route after first entering another faculty. However, students may be admitted directly to the kinesiology major program based on good grades in courses which transfer to Simon Fraser University as:

BISC 101-4

MBB 221-3

CHEM 121-4, 122-2, 281-4

KIN 142-3

MATH 151-3 (or 154-3), 152-3 (or 155-3)

PHYS 101-3, (or 120-3 or 125-3 or 140-4), 102-3 (or 121-3 or 126-3 or 141-4)

PHYS 130-2 (or 131-2) not required if both of PHYS 140-4 and 141-4 are completed

For those who cannot complete all requirements at a college, students may apply to Simon Fraser University and complete the internal transfer route

To Top

Important Transfer Notes


Incoming students who have taken transferable courses which do not receive assigned credit in Canadian Studies may apply to the Director of Canadian Studies to have such courses (1) count toward the major or minor or (2) exempt the student from lower division Canadian Studies courses. To qualify, the course(s) must cover sufficient Canadian subject material.


Students who have taken non-transferable Computing Science courses at a community college should contact the School for the interview regarding appropriate placement.


Incoming students who have completed co-operative education terms at an accredited co-op B.C. College and who intend to pursue a Co-operative Education degree at SFU should:

(1) contact the appropriate Co-op Program immediately upon entry to Simon Fraser; and

(2) register for a minimum of 9 units in their first study semester. Transfer students normally start with a study semester on campus. Forty-five to sixty units (depending on the Co-op program) are normally required before beginning a work semester.

In some cases, transfer standing can be awarded for co-operative education terms completed through other accredited co-op institutions. At least 50% of their co-op work terms must be earned at SFU. Transfer students are required to pay the co-op application fee.

For further information, contact the Co-op Education Office at 778-782-2667.

To Top


A maximum of 30 units of studio credit may be transferred to a Bachelor of Arts degree and a maximum of 36 units of studio credit may be transferred to a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree.

Students wishing transfer credit for Fine and Performing Arts courses of a directed studies nature should contact the School for consideration on an individual basis, and should be prepared to provide a full course outline and examples of work completed.

The School assumes that students will begin their studies in Fall semester (September). Incoming students should contact the School no later than the previous January to enquire about the process by which entry to their program of choice must be sought. Transfer credit granted does not imply that program entry or advanced standing will be given.


The School of Criminology at Simon Fraser limits entry to the upper division of its major/honors/minor programs. Students must apply in-person to the undergraduate advisor of the School for admission. To be admitted to the major/honors/minor programs, a student must have completed all lower division required courses with a C-grade or better.

A student transferring that has articulated the first 60 units of study in Criminology with the School will be considered on the basis of his or her SFU admission average. Currently, these institutions are Camosun College, College of New Caledonia, Douglas College, Kwantlen Polytechnic University, Northwest Community College, University of the Fraser Valley and Vancouver Island University.

To Top


The Department of Economics limits admission to its major, honors and minor programs (including joint honors and joint majors). Entry into these programs will be on the basis of a formal application made to the Department. To be considered for the major, honors, or minor programs, a student must have completed ECON 103, ECON 105 and MATH 157 (or equivalent) with at least a 'C-' grade.


Students with unassigned English credit for more than one creative writing course will receive GE (3) CREATIVE WRITING for subsequent courses.

Any one, but not more than one, of ENGL 101 - W, 102- W, 103- W, 104- W, 105- W and 199- W may be replaced by any three unspecified transfer units in English or in ENGL - Writing. Any one, but not more than one, of ENGL 206, 207, 210, 214 and 216 may be replaced by any three unspecified 200 level transfer units in English.

A student who enters the University with 18 lower division transfer units in English will have met the department's lower division requirements for a major in English provided those units include any one of ENGL 101- W, 102- W, 103- W, 104- W, 105- W, or 199- W; one of ENGL 201 or 203; and one of ENGL 205 and 206.

Students declaring a major in English and found deficient in the department's lower division requirements must make up the deficiency. Such make up normally shall be attempted before the student takes upper division courses in English, but the department may permit it to be attempted concurrently or to be deferred in order to avoid timetable conflicts or for other good cause.

To Top


Students wishing to prepare themselves in two subject areas and not desiring to undertake a major program may take an extended minor program consisting of the completion of two extended minors in the Bachelor of Arts degree. An extended minor consists of the lower division major requirements and the upper division minor requirements in a subject area. This program, oriented toward both depth and breadth, is particularly suitable for students preparing to teach in the BC school system.

No more than 8 upper division hours transferred from another institution may count toward an extended minor.


Students must complete at least 24 units of transferable work, preferably from Faculty of Applied Sciences programs.


See Computing Science, School of for Admission information.


The Professional Development Program (PDP) recognizes certain courses that fulfill the laboratory science requirement for teaching certificates. In some cases, a course that transfers to SFU does not satisfy the requirement whereas the course, if taken at SFU, does satisfy the requirement. This is due to the differences in teaching method. Transfer students are specifically warned the Thompson Rivers Open Learning GEOG 110 and 111 do not fulfill PDP's laboratory science requirement.

To Top


Exemption from language courses usually will be determined by a placement test or other assessment procedure prior to registration. For further information on assessment consult individual language departments.

All students with prior knowledge of a language are required to consult the language department concerned for a placement prior to or upon registration. Native speakers or students who received their secondary education in a language taught at Simon Fraser University normally will not be admitted to courses in that language numbered 100 to 300 inclusive.

Total transfer and course challenge credit in basic language courses may not exceed the following limits:

French language: 24 units

pre-university level courses -- 000 division courses -- not more that 12 units permitted for FREN 000 div.
first year university courses -- 100 division courses -- not more that 12 units permitted for FREN 100 and/or 200 div.
second year university courses -- 200 division courses -- not more that 12 units permitted for FREN 100 and/or 200 div.
German language: 12 units
Spanish language: 12 units

Students interested in course challenge should contact the appropriate department.

French Literature
Total transfer credit for transfer courses from B.C. colleges may not exceed 6 units.


Credit is permitted for only one of SFU MATH 151 (3), 154 (3), 157 (3).

Credit is permitted for only one of SFU MATH 152 (3), 155 (3), 158 (3).

To Top


No Letter of Permission credit (i.e. after admission to SFU) will normally be granted for SFU Psychology students who wish to take courses which transfer as SFU PSYC 201 (3) or PSYC 210 (3).


Simon Fraser Sociology and Anthropology courses carry four units, while college courses generally carry three. To facilitate entry into the program, the following exemptions will be granted to students transferring 60 units:
Completion of five Type 1 transfer courses in Sociology and Anthropology (15 units) will be judged as satisfying the lower division Sociology and Anthropology requirement of five courses (20 units), providing that program prerequisites have been fulfilled.
Completion of four Type 1 transfer courses in Sociology and Anthropology (12 units) will be judged as completion of four Sociology and Anthropology lower division courses (16 hours), providing that program prerequisites are being fulfilled. Such students will be required to take one additional lower division Sociology and Anthropology course at Simon Fraser University in order to complete lower division departmental requirements.
Completion of three or fewer Type 1 transfer courses (nine units or less) will warrant a department exemption of one unit per course.


Incoming students who have taken transferable community college or university courses which do not receive Women's Studies transfer credit may petition, in writing, the Women's Studies Co-ordinating Committee to have such courses count toward the minor. They must include a copy of the course outline with their request. A significant proportion of the course work must concern women, gender and/or feminist issues. Students may also petition the Committee to be exempted from Women's Studies 101 or 102 if they have covered the material in another Women's Studies course.

To Top

For More Information

Admissions - Student Services
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6

Telephone: 778-782-3224
Web site:
Fax: 778-782-4969

Student Services: Student Services is responsible for student recruitment, admission, secondary school and college liaison, registration, class scheduling, scholarships, financial aid and all aspects of undergraduate and graduate records.

Admissions Advice: Advisors are available to answer questions about entrance to the University. Students should call ahead for an appointment at 778-782-3397.

Academic Advising: New undergraduate students who require assistance in planning programs and clarifying academic goals, as well as advice on University rules, regulations, procedures, and on financial assistance, should contact the Academic Resource Office. Normal hours of operation are from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm from Mondays to Thursdays, and from 10:00 am to 4:30 pm on Fridays. An appointment may be booked by calling 778-772-4356.

Centre for Students with Disabilities: Prospective students with a disability are encouraged to contact the Centre for Students with Disabilities at 778-782-3112.

To Top

Last revised: March, 2014